THE PIONEER BADGE.
T a reception tendered the Pioneers in the Tabernacle, on the afternoon of July 20, 1897, there was presented to each of the veterans of 1847 a badge of honor, the gift of the State. The presentation was made under the direction of the Commission, by twenty-seven young ladies, representing the twenty-seven Counties.
The badge was of gold; the design, which was most artistically wrought, comprising literal and emblematic pictures pertaining to Utah. A central circle, the largest of five composing the beautiful and costly medallion, contained a bust portrait of President Brigham Young, surrounded with the inscription, "Utah Semi-Centennial Pioneer Jubilee," while the four smaller circles contained, severally, the representations of a bee-hive, an emigrant wagon, the pony express and the locomotive; four large bees with outspread wings filling the interstices. The emigrant wagon was dated 1847; the locomotive 1897. On the obverse side of the medallion were engraved the words, "Presented by the State of Utah to [naming the recipient], Pioneer of 1847."
Upon twenty-eight of these souvenirs the inscription, "Utah Semi-Centennial Pioneer Jubilee," was in white enamel; upon the others it was in blue enamel; the twenty-eight badges thus distinguished, being, it is scarcely necessary to say, for the twenty-eight survivors of the original Pioneer Company.
The Pioneer Badge was a passport during the Jubilee to all the festivities and amusements under the control of the Commission. It is needless to add that, as an heir-loom in the families of the veterans upon whom it was bestowed, it will ever be a passport to respect and kindly recognition among all who honor merit and whatever remains to remind posterity of its deathless claims.