THE PIONEER MONUMENT
THE first of the five days devoted to the Jubilee witnessed the unveiling of the Pioneer Monument. This handsome memorial, reared by popular subscription, stands at the intersection of Main and South Temple streets, near to the State meridian, and in close proximity to the spot where the illustrious leader of the Pioneers struck his staff in the earth and exclaimed, "Here will be the Temple of our God."
The base and shaft are of native granite, surmounted by a heroic figure of Brigham Young in bronze. Two bronze tablets, in front and rear, contain, on the south side the inscription, "In honor of Brigham Young and^the Pioneers;" on the north side the names of the original company that came with him across the plains.
The monument as it stands, though finished artistically, is incomplete as to the full design, which includes the figures of a trapper and an Indian, seated at the base; while on the lower part of the shaft is a bas relief representation of an emigrant family encamped. These features will be added as soon as practicable. The whole work was designed by the sculptor C E. Dallin, a native of Utah, but famous far beyond her borders. Its total cost will be thirty-five thousand dollars.
The statue stood, in 1893, upon the grounds of the Utah Building at the World's Fair, and subsequently upon the lawn of the Salt Lake Temple. It was removed to its present site and the base constructed a few days before the opening of the Jubilee, when, on July 20th, it was unveiled with appropriate ceremonies and presented to the State.
The presentation, especially at such a time, was a most appropriate act, constituting one of the main features of the intensely interesting Jubilee program. The Pioneers of Utah were more than religious refugees, fleeing from the